Pages

Sunday, February 26, 2012

OpenJDK 7 on Apple G5 PowerPC on Mac OS X 10.5.8

Apple G5 Power Mac

  • Are you an Apple G5 owner feeling a little left out by Apple?
  • Do you have a very expensive and capable piece of hardware which can still be a valuable and fashionable?
  • Do you develop applications in Java, or run applications based on Java and feel left behind?

I have a solution for you! Use OpenJDK BSD Port!

Using a build script sent to me by Kurt Miller, build recommendations from Kelly O'Hair, and the great work of the BSD Port team... I created a new build of OpenJDK 7 for my PPC based system using the Zero VM.

The results are fantastic. I can run GlassFish 3.1.1 along with all my enterprise applications.

GlassFish 3.1.1 on Zero VM
Well it wouldn't be me if I didn't share my good fortune. I updated the Darwin9Build page for OpenJDK to demonstrate how to build OpenJDK for yourself. There are also links to the binaries too.

Here is the link: Darwin9Build


24 comments :